Thursday 28 August 2008

Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer

The Book: It is in regrettable circumstances that beautiful Judith Taverner and her brother Peregrine first encounter Julian St. John Audley. The man, they both agree, is an insufferably arrogant dandy. But unfortunately for them, he is also the Fifth Earl of Worth, a friend of the Regent, and, quite by chance, their legal guardian...

My review: I loved this book! Georgette Heyer ranks highly on my list of authors and I think that the fact that this is her only book to blend in romance and mystery equally only makes me like it more. It is funny and, like her other books, capture the period perfectly. It is obvious that she is an expert on this period in history and her portrayal of each of the different characters is highly amusing and entertaining. I also love the fact that she has added in Beau Brummell as a proper character instead of just a name because it gives a chance to find out what he is really like as a person.
Other Reviews: 'My favourite historical novelist - stylish, romantic, sharp, and witty. Her sense of period is superb, her heorines are enterprising, and her heroes dashing. I owe her many happy hours.' MARAGARET DRABBLE

No comments: